Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

my learning disability


November 2008

“I started to realize that I had a hard time to spell when I was in Junior High School. My interpreter once told me that I took a learning disability test to find out whether I have one but I never finished it. As I entered at California School for the Deaf, Fremont, I noticed that my spelling had become worsen, but I always found a way to get away from it. As an undergraduate student, I started to realize I couldn’t get away from it, so I had to work harder to pull up my school grades. Some people and teachers believed that I have dyslexia. In my senior year, I realized that I needed to find out what was wrong with me. Recently, last summer I took the exam to check if I actually have it. I was diagnosed Learning Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. Even though, I knew there was something wrong with me but the results hit me hard. I lost my confidence a little bit and I wasn’t happy about this. I was disappointed that a guy, who gave me the exam was not sure what kind of specific learning disability I have and I would still need to take more exams to find out. I actually don’t like the fact that I would have to ask people for help. I always become nervous every time I ask someone to help me spell the word out or correct my paper. Today, I still struggle with my learning disability. I think I’m still struggling because I feel uncomfortable to ask people for some help when I need. There are some times where I feel I wouldn’t become successful because of my learning disability. I will definitely need to be more optimistic to be successful in future but I will need to learn how to find resources for help.”

I always have a hard time to write an entry in my journal and/or update my blog. Sometime I shut myself out and didn’t finish an entry. Sometime I find myself become jealous of some people because they could write very beautiful. I just want to be like them. I know that I think very beautiful like them but I cannot express them into beautiful words.

It has been three years since I was diagnosed as Learning Disorder NOS. I still haven’t 100% accept this yet. I hope I will someday. I never took more tests to find out what kind of learning disability I have. I know my grammar structure is not perfect too so I believe I have writing disorder or dyslexia. I believe that growing with lack of deaf education also affected me. I am very thankful that I am able to read. I love to read books.

My 16 years old sister, my father, and my aunt Eileen (my mom’s side) are also poor speller. Eileen's grammar is worse than me. I wonder if it is genetic thing.

I know that I am able to learn more about grammar rules. Soon… I am planning to buy a CD program (lesson, practices, and games) that focus on grammar rules so I could improve. If you know a CD program, please do share!

2 comments:

Cosmic Child, a Celestial Wonder said...

no worries, i feel the same with my LD in math, i always have hated to ask for help and feel ashamed when i couldn't even get it.

we just gotta accept the fact that we have struggles in our learning process and there is always ways to succeed, with patience and ask help when needed.

i blogged on that day when i felt stupid that i couldn't even understand simple math equation. i should share that with you soon. :)

Kandace Morris said...

You're right... There is always ways to succeed!

Please do share with me!!! Xoxo