Pages

Saturday, February 02, 2013

coach bill snape

I have many fond memories with Coach Bill. So many great memories that I could easily write a book!  
    
It was fall of 2004, I was a freshman, and I remember the first swimming team meeting very clearly; new Head Coach Bill Snape was very nervous and awkward that day. He asked one of the hearing swimmer's to interpret for him. I remember thinking to myself  “Oh crap, this new coach knows no American Sign Language (ASL)”. I was disappointed with Gallaudet University because they hired someone that didn't know sign language!!! At the same time I was nervous as well to begin season. After the meeting, I remember I told him that I am not good enough to be on team since I only had few years of swimming experience. He convinced me to be on swimming team. I am so glad that I took his advice. The daily practices were always fun because of him and I remember how I always looked forward to going to practice everyday. That following summer after the first season, Bill took ASL classes. I was and still am very impressed with him because he picked up ASL very quickly. He worked so hard to improve the communication between himself and the team and I was so impressed by that. He cared about each one of us like we were his own children. He always would  make sure I had a smile on my face. Later during my college years, I even became his personal assistant- I  helped him recruit new swimmers to be part of our team, haha.    
    
I will never forget the day he came up to me and told me that I will be doing 200 yards butterfly event for CAC Championship. He smiled at me while I was so ready to break down! It was a great opportunity for me do this event even though long-distance events were never my strong point.

Bill, thank you for being such a WONDERFUL and AMAZING coach. You are like a father to me. Looking back, now I can say that Gallaudet University made a best decision in hiring you. I had an opportunity to be part of USA Deaf Swimming in 2007 because of you, Coach Bill. Also, it was a pleasure to work with him as one of assistant coaches for a short time during graduate school.  I am proud to say he helped swimmers break many old records.

Also… I would like to thank his family for allowing him to spend hours and hours with the Gallaudet University swimming team. His family knows that being with the team made Bill happy.

Most importantly, THANK YOU for BELIEVING in ME. I couldn’t ask for a better coach!

No comments: